<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://pennyspuravida.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Penny's Peace of Paradise

A gringa and her family's adventures living in Costa Rica.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who's the lucky girl? or Chunk #2

He was gripping the cord way too tight, but it was his first time, and he was scared! The harder he grasped, the more precarious his journey became. Suddenly his back end slipped off the cord and as it swung around he could not muster enough upper body strength to recover. It was a quiet moment in the day. I'd completed most of the gardening chores I'd set out to, although that regenerating list is like a lizard, and grows new chores once others are eliminated. My smoothie sat beside me and I was perusing the day's news on the web. It happened so quickly, I didn't have time to really freak out...I saw something fall out of the corner of my eye and it landed on the table next to my smoothie! It seemed to take a few moments as it righted itself, during which time I realized it was a mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened next is hard to dissect, screaming, leaping, and doing that little foot lifting dance on the couch, which I assume, is used to ward off future encounters with unwanted vermin. The kids magically appeared on the couch beside me also doing the hoppy dance as the little fellow made his way to a corner behind my chair. We gathered our nerve and found a plastic container which we would use, as all great indoor hunters, to set over him. Then we'd slide a piece of cardboard under the container and relocate him outside. The plan was brilliant, his capture would be a cinch, and he was cute and round like a dollop of whipped cream. As he sat on his tiny rear haunches, just like the lovable mice in the kids movies we'd seen lately, I imagined that had on tiny red mouse boots... None of that helped us actually get close enough to it to make the capture. It's funny that he was cuter than the mice at the pet shop, but the thought that he was born and raised somewhere outside, or in the walls, prejudiced us against him. Like those pet shop mice are bathed, up to date on their vaccinations and ready for adoption? Anyway, my brave daughter, who barely cringes when she gets shots, was the one who finally captured him and carried him outside. It was hard to get to the point of relaxing after that, I mean, he was young and I know there are siblings not far, but I just had to steel myself and try to recapture my peaceful moment.

back to blogging... Who's the lucky girl? I am! In the states, I felt privileged to have one, maybe two blooms on a amaryllis plant in my home, but check out this abundance that just keeps showing off in my yard.

Tourists are struck by the amount of color that can be found in even the most inhospitable locations here. The tree canopies look like someone drizzled bright orange sauce over them, and the bougainvillea bushes have twice as many blossoms on them, than leaves. You can't escape the beauty of the flora here, they are colorful intruders in each rusty or dingy corner. It's hopeful and lifts my spirits!

To touch on my last topic, or Chunk #1, I'm preparing a showcase of the myriad of school uniforms here, so stay tuned!

I'm without a relaxation novel right now. I had donated and purchased used books at a pet shelter in Monte de la Cruz, but now must find a new "library." I am plodding through two books right now, the first is hardly just before bed reading, The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's well written and a great way to review the country's history that you know, and learn lots of dirty little truths you didn't. The other book I brought with me, as I knew it would be relevant sooner or later, The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup, M.D. I know I'm not pregnant, but I am tuned into my, rarely problematic, body, and things they are a changing. No hot flashes, nothing that obvious, just mood changes and things hurting for no apparent reason. Ms Northrup is an amazing physician, who looks at the whole body, and encourages women to recognize women's history and how we fit into the natural flow of life. If you haven't hit perimenopause, I recommend her earlier book, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. So, I will soon venture to the big city and check out a new, primarily, vegetarian cafe in Escazu. They have a book exchange going on there, plus I am excited to try their fare after reading about one of the owners, his wife and family on her blog, Asi es Costa Rica. So until then, I'll be dreaming of the colonial slave trade.

Sweeter dreams to you,

Penny

1 Comments:

At March 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Marshall said...

Who loves you?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home